Electrical systems are present in almost all modern American houses. While these networks are useful, they also present some safety hazards. Thankfully, any risks can be easily identified. With the help of a licensed electrician, they can also be promptly resolved. Read on to learn more about the potential safety hazards at home.

Old and Faulty Wiring

As your electrical system ages, it becomes more prone to developing problems. The insulation of cables tends to deteriorate over the years, leaving the metal wires exposed. These can be a source of stray sparks that can light any flammable materials nearby. To make sure that your home is free of faulty wiring, get a professional electrician to routinely check the connections every couple of years. If the house is more than 3 decades old, this should be done yearly.

Exposed or Unprotected Sockets

This is a real hazard for families with young children. Small kids tend to be very curious about the world around them, and their little fingers can often fit into the holes of a socket. They may poke these outlets and get a nasty shock or worse.

To protect any small children in your home, you should provide some form of covering for these outlets. You can place plastic plugs in each socket located near the floor or any height they can reach. You may also set up more permanent protection by asking your electrician to install child safety wall plates. There are various designs out there that you can choose from. Some have springs that allow them to slide close when nothing is plugged into them, while others have a hard plastic cover that you can lift to access the outlet.

Sockets Near Water Sources

You should check your bathroom, kitchen, and other spaces in your house for sockets that are too near to water sources, especially if your house is pre-owned. The old owner’s construction contractor may have positioned outlets too close to the sinks and other water fixtures in these rooms. If the outlet gets wet, it will short-circuit when something is plugged into it, which can cause it to overload or even lead to an electrical fire. Any liquid that comes into contact with electricity also instantly becomes a conductor, so sockets near wet bathroom or kitchen floors are a potential electrocution risk.

A licensed electrician can help you reposition these outlets. They should be placed at least 6 feet away from bathtubs and showers and 1 foot away from sinks. Floor outlets should also be located 32 to 36 inches up the wall.

Contact Vintage Electric

Reach out to Vintage Electric in Gainesville, FL to neutralize any electrical hazards in your home. We can provide building rewiring and other services that can help make your electrical system safer.