Have you ever experienced your TV shutting down and turning back on again in seconds? This is an example of a power surge. It may not seem like a big deal as everything happens within just a second. However, it can still cause possible damage to your appliances. Read on to learn more about electrical power surges in Gainesville, FL.
What Is a Power Surge?
A power surge happens when an electrical charge spikes and exceeds the usual number of voltages. It should typically be between 110 and 120 volts. In the US, devices won’t be able to take over 169 volts.
What Causes Power Surges?
There are different reasons why a power surge can happen. Some of them include:
- Lightning Strike – It is the most common cause of a power surge. When lightning strikes close to the power lines, it generates a large voltage that makes an electrical system spike.
- Faulty Wiring – Broken or exposed wires are also prone to causing power surges. A defective wire isn’t easy to spot, but there are some signs that you can look out for to fix it immediately. Examples include a burning smell, buzzing sounds, or burn marks coming from wiring or outlets.
- Electrical Overload – When too much power comes from a single circuit, it can cause a power surge. This happens when your extension cords are overused by plugging in too many devices in the same circuit.
What Are Warning Signs of Power Surges?
A power surge occurs pretty often. To be prepared when it happens, look out for these signals. Here are some signs that indicate that you may experience a power surge soon:
- Tripped Circuit Breakers or Safety Switches
- Resetting of Devices
- Power Loss of Devices
- Flickering and Dimming of Lights
- Warm or Vibrating Outlets
What Happens After a Power Surge?
A power surge damages your electronic devices. Even a minor one that lasts for only a second can already decrease the lifespan of your electronics. It can also cause them to malfunction or completely stop working.
Protect Yourself From Power Surges
Contact professional electricians if you’re looking for ways to protect yourself from power surges. Vintage Electric is an electric repair company that can help you with electrical power surges in Gainesville, FL. Give us a call today, and we’ll help you install a home electrical system that will protect you from these unexpected electrical interruptions.